The Mentor Program for San Francisco Achievers aims to empower African
American young men to make positive life choices through activities that enable them to
maximize their personal and academic potential. Mentors provide general guidance,
support, and encouragement through one-on-one sessions that are focused on areas
that include academic support, career development and familiar faces to connect with
throughout the college journey. The mentor program’s goal is to reduce the feeling of
isolation, help provide additional support to the college scholars and answer questions
about personal experiences in college and throughout life. We aim to increase college
retention rates and graduation rates among African American young men, which still
remain lower than most of other subgroups of students.
A MENTOR’S RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Be dependable and consistent with your mentee
● Meet with your mentee for a minimum of 2 sessions per month throughout the academic
year in person, via phone, or through video chat.
● Agree to meet with your assigned mentees for a minimum of one academic year
● Provide general guidance, encouragement, and support to promote personal and social
responsibility in the mentee
● Attend essential orientations and training sessions scheduled by San Francisco
● Maintain confidentiality with mentee’s information, except for information shared with the
program manager, teachers, and/or parents which the scholar has agreed to share
● Maintain an encouraging attitude
● Attend mentor/mentee group outings and recognition events
● Maintain ongoing contact with San Francisco Achievers
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS OF THE MENTOR PROGRAM
● Must be at least 21 years of age.
● Have the ability to care about youth in a nonjudgmental manner
● For the protection of our students, mentors may be asked to agree to a background check if the student is under 18 years of age.
Thank you for your interest in mentoring with San Francisco Achievers!
Please complete the form below. Upon receipt of your application, San Francisco Achievers staff will review your application and contact you to discuss your interests and our current opportunities.
Please expect this to take 1-2 weeks depending on the time of year.
* Required fields